Another week of limit catches in Saugatuck
<p>Last week the fish spread out a little however the result remains the same with limit catches almost every day. Early in the week we were fishing in 100 to 115 foot of water and during the week we moved out to 120 foot and then out to 150 foot and on Saturday we caught fish out to 180 foot of water. Every day we would start fishing in 95 foot of water and move out until we either marked or started catching fish. We would start fishing 60 to 90 foot down and as the day progressed we would lower the baits to 90 to 150 foot down. The creels continued to consist of 75% chinook salmon with the remaining being a mixture of coho, lake trout and steelhead.
The best combination continues to be flashers and flies on the downrigger, dipsy divers and 300 and 450 copper with spoons and plugs on the 200 copper and on 150 copper. The following are the combinations that worked best for us last week:
1. 11 in. Pro Troll white/glow with a Rapture hypnotist or illusion fly on the deep downrigger.
2. 11 in Pro Troll double UV white blade with a Rapture second wish fly on the deep divers
3. 8 in. Chrome silver blade fish scale with hypnotist fly.
4. 8 in Super Frog with hypnotist fly
5. 8 in white blade Pro Troll with double glow and a hypnotist fly
6. 8 in green blade Pro Troll with double glow and UV second wish fly
7. UV mixed veggie Pro Troll with purple no see um
8. UV on UV Pro Troll flasher with UV illusion fly
9. White green wiggle flasher with UV illusion fly
In the last half of the week we have been running more and more UV flies and when we tested UV on one side of the boat to identical non UV flies on the other, the UV out fished the regular flies.
Very little perch fishing this past week since 1. the salmon fishing is so good, most boats are fishing for them and 2. the perch are spread out in different depths.
For more information and/or charter reservations, email me at email@example.com.
About The Author: Captain Ron Westrate
Company: CoHooker Charter Fishing Service
Area Reporting: Lake Michigan, Port of Saugatuck
Bio: CoHooker Charter Fishing Service is operated by a father and son team and has been in business for 33 years out of the Port of Saugatuck. We operate a 29 foot Luhrs Tournamenet that is insured licensed and fully equipped with the latest in electronics and fishing gear. We serve as prostaff for Scotty downriggers, Pro Troll Falshers, G flies and Raider lures.